Self Storage Tips
- Don’t overfill or under fill your boxes.
- Stacked boxes are safer if filled.
- Fill empty pockets in boxes with packing materials.
- Be sure that you don’t make boxes too heavy to lift.
- Label your boxes to easily identify the contents.
Nest cups and bowls, stand plates and saucers on edge. Pack delicate items separately using bubble wrap or tissue paper. Avoid using newspaper as the ink can stain. Pack mirrors, pictures and records on edge not flat. Books can be packed flat in boxes to protect spines.
Clean clothes before packing as residues can cause mould. All materials should be folded or wrapped with moth balls. Clothing and linen can be packed in large boxes or plastic bags.
Label all leads and sockets so you remember what goes where. Avoid using shredded paper to pack VCRs or DVDs. Make sure disks, CDs and DVDs are removed from machines. Locate the original packing if possible and seal the lids.
Clean and dry tools and metals before storing. Wipe such items with a lightly oiled rag. Tie tools securely into bundles. Vehicles and machinery should be drained of oil and petrol.
- If possible disassemble beds and wardrobes to save space.
- Chairs should be stowed seat to seat or upside down on unassembled items.
- Use sheets of cardboard on the floor of the unit to protect uncovered items.
- If short of space you can store sofas and mattresses on end.
- Leave a gap between your goods and the container walls to help ventilate the container.
Thoroughly dry refrigerators, freezers, and washing machines before storing. Clean ovens and cooking utensils to prevent mould or rust. Store appliances with the doors slightly ajar.
Keep frequently used or needed items near the entrance of the unit. Store least used items first. Store important documents in the same place. ALSO.. Remember to open the door of your unit regularly to check on your contents and help ventilation. If going away whilst your goods are in storage ensure you arrange for someone to do this for you.
To ensure full protection from damp and the elements we strongly suggest that all items within the unit are covered with waterproof materials.